- Megachurch pastor with ties to Obama commits suicide
- WaPo to readers: Send us your ‘gun violence’ stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- U.S. threatens Ukraine with sanctions over dispatch of riot police
- Canada doing away with door-to-door mail delivery by 2018
- NSA chief defends phone spying: ‘There is no other way’
- Hawaii Health Department head killed in plane crash
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: A sickening lack of patriotism
Question of the Day
I joined the U.S. Navy two months after my high school graduation. I had been accepted into every college to which I applied. I chose to enter military service because I felt like I owed something to my country.
I had always believed in our form of government. I served proudly for 91/2 years, until I developed a medical disability. Since that time I have worked mostly in defense-related industries. Until recently, I have disagreed with but never doubted our elected leaders. Now, with our military having to limit its missions, ships missing needed maintenance, the threat of furloughs for civilian defense workers and the fact that Congress chooses vacation over necessary action, I am literally sick to my stomach over the complete lack of leadership and patriotism.
Before any funds are cut from defense or social program budgets, all pay and allowances for Congress members, Cabinet members and senior bureaucrats should be revoked owing to these individuals’ failure to perform the jobs to which they were elected or appointed.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Washington Post to readers: Send us your gun violence stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl's hand
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets