- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Big ethanol’s big consequences
Question of the Day
If we do not change our energy policies soon, our own grandchildren will go hungry. Big ethanol is now a powerful political force, a monster created by presidents, congressmen, entrepreneurs and scientists looking for a paycheck. Biofuel production and the food cost hyperinflation it has created are a major cause of our current economic collapse. We are eroding our irreplaceable topsoil by producing engine-rotting, energy-inefficient fuels that consumers do not even want in their cars.
Switchgrass, algae, giant reed and all the rest will never produce an ecologically benign fuel that people can afford to use. Wildly irresponsible genetic-engineering research is being conducted to create artificial superalgae and radically new bacteria to produce biofuels. If these synthetic organisms are not contained, they could spread worldwide as soon as large-scale production has begun. Once let out of the laboratory, unforeseen consequences could result.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore