- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
Boxer Chavez Jr. suspended, fined over drug test
Question of the Day
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined and suspended boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Thursday over a failed drug test last year before a Mexican Independence Day fight in Las Vegas.
The popular, 27-year-old fighter, who’s the son of a famous boxer by the same name, tested positive for marijuana in September after his first professional loss. Chavez (46-1-1) was suspended for nine months from the date of the fight and fined $900,000, which amounts to 30 percent of his $3 million purse for the bout against Sergio Martinez.
Chavez, who spoke by phone from Mexico, said through a translator that he was sorry for his actions and had taken the drug to curb his stress eight or nine days before the much-anticipated fight.
“I know I committed a big error. It was a mistake,” Chavez told the five commissioners. “I let a lot of people down.”
The commission could have banned him for one year and penalized him for up to 100 percent of his purse.
“I’d like to fight as soon as I can,” Chavez said. “But I’m willing to accept anything you guys have because, like I said, I made a mistake, and I’m willing to take the punishment.”
Chavez’s failed test was revealed shortly after his dramatic loss to Martinez Sept. 15 in front of a sellout crowd of 19,000. Chavez already was fined $20,000 and suspended indefinitely by the WBC, whose belt he lost to Martinez.
Chavez was arrested on drunken driving charges last year in Los Angeles, and struggled to make weight for a championship bout last February against Marco Antonio Rubio in San Antonio, Texas.
Commissioners were split on the punishment, voting 3-2 in favor of it. Commissioner Skip Avansino suggested a fine of 10 to 15 percent of the purse, saying Chavez appeared contrite about the violation.
But others, including Commissioner Pat Lundvall, contended the punishment should be closer to the 30 to 40 percent figure other fighters have faced for second-time infractions. She argued the commission should take a strong stance on marijuana, even if criminal penalties for the substance are light.
“While there can be great debate as far as in the public as far as the benefits and adverse impacts of … marijuana in general, that’s not up for debate in this commission,” Lundvall said.
After the hearing, Campbell called the punishment “excessive” and said he would talk with his client about possibly challenging it.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- More immigrants deported from New Mexico center
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- Vladimir Putin pressured to aid Ukraine plane crash probe, rein in rebels
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq