- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gerrymandering chicanery in Virginia
Question of the Day
In 2011, the Republicans got 60 percent of the vote in Virginia's Senate races, while the Democrats received only 40 percent. However, because the Democrats manipulated the district boundaries, they were able to hold exactly half the seats in the Senate.
Thankfully Republicans in Richmond had the courage to fix the gerrymandering the Democrats had done to thwart the voters. Democrats have been screaming foul because Republicans stood up for what was right. When drawing district lines, lawmakers are supposed to keep areas of common interest together.
For example, what does Lowes Island in Sterling have in common with Arlington? Democrats took a few thousand houses in Lowes Island and attached them to an Arlington district represented by Sen. Barbara Favola, a Democrat. It is gerrymandering like that, which the Democrats had hoped would go unnoticed or unchallenged, that erodes the integrity of our political process. I hope the House passes the corrected lines so that Democrats aren’t able to thwart the will of the voters in future elections.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones