- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gerrymandering chicanery in Virginia
In 2011, the Republicans got 60 percent of the vote in Virginia’s Senate races, while the Democrats received only 40 percent. However, because the Democrats manipulated the district boundaries, they were able to hold exactly half the seats in the Senate.
Thankfully Republicans in Richmond had the courage to fix the gerrymandering the Democrats had done to thwart the voters. Democrats have been screaming foul because Republicans stood up for what was right. When drawing district lines, lawmakers are supposed to keep areas of common interest together.
For example, what does Lowes Island in Sterling have in common with Arlington? Democrats took a few thousand houses in Lowes Island and attached them to an Arlington district represented by Sen. Barbara Favola, a Democrat. It is gerrymandering like that, which the Democrats had hoped would go unnoticed or unchallenged, that erodes the integrity of our political process. I hope the House passes the corrected lines so that Democrats aren’t able to thwart the will of the voters in future elections.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers