- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gerrymandering chicanery in Virginia
Question of the Day
In 2011, the Republicans got 60 percent of the vote in Virginia’s Senate races, while the Democrats received only 40 percent. However, because the Democrats manipulated the district boundaries, they were able to hold exactly half the seats in the Senate.
Thankfully Republicans in Richmond had the courage to fix the gerrymandering the Democrats had done to thwart the voters. Democrats have been screaming foul because Republicans stood up for what was right. When drawing district lines, lawmakers are supposed to keep areas of common interest together.
For example, what does Lowes Island in Sterling have in common with Arlington? Democrats took a few thousand houses in Lowes Island and attached them to an Arlington district represented by Sen. Barbara Favola, a Democrat. It is gerrymandering like that, which the Democrats had hoped would go unnoticed or unchallenged, that erodes the integrity of our political process. I hope the House passes the corrected lines so that Democrats aren’t able to thwart the will of the voters in future elections.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens