- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
Iran positive but noncommittal about talks with U.S.
MUNICH (AP) — Iran's foreign minister on Sunday welcomed the willingness of the United States to hold direct talks with Tehran in the standoff over its nuclear program but didn't commit to accepting the offer — insisting that Washington must show "fair and real" intentions to resolve the issue and complaining about "threatening rhetoric."
Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi insisted that no Iranian "red line" is getting in the way of direct negotiations with Washington, but he also pointed to deep mistrust between the two countries.
Mr. Salehi was speaking at the same international security conference at which Vice President Joseph R. Biden on Saturday said the United States was prepared talk directly to Iran. Mr. Biden insisted that Tehran must show it is serious and that Washington won't engage in such talks merely "for the exercise."
Washington has indicated in the past that it's prepared to talk directly with Iran on the nuclear issue, but so far nothing has come of it. Meanwhile, talks involving all five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany have made little headway, while several rounds of international sanctions have cut into Iran's oil sales and financial transactions.
The next round of talks with the six powers will be held Feb. 25 in Kazakhstan, Mr. Salehi told the Munich Security Conference.
Diplomats from some of those world powers have expressed frustration in recent weeks about what they say are Iran's tactics of proposing several venues but not committing to any single one for the talks.
The European Union has proposed dates and venues since December, "so it is good to hear that the Foreign Minister finally confirmed now," said Michael Mann, a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton. "We hope the negotiating team will also confirm."
Mr. Salehi said Mr. Biden's comments marked "a step forward" but indicated that getting the U.S. and Iran together for one-to-one talks will be no easy task.
"We have no red line for bilateral negotiations when it comes to negotiating over a particular subject," Mr. Salehi said. "If the subject is the nuclear file, yes, we are ready for negotiations, but we have to make sure ... that the other side this time comes with authentic intention, with a fair and real intention to resolve the issue."
Mr. Salehi said it was "contradictory" if the U.S. voices willingness to hold direct talks "but on the other side you use this threatening rhetoric that everything is on the table ... these are not compatible with each other."
"We are ready for engagement only when it is on equal footing," he said.
Iran insists it does not want nuclear arms and argues it has a right to enrich uranium for a civilian nuclear power program, but suspicion persists that the real aim is to build an atomic bomb.
Last month Iran, in a defiant move, announced plans to vastly increase its pace of uranium enrichment. That process can be used to make both reactor fuel and the fissile core of warheads.
Vali Nasr, dean of the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University, sounded a skeptical note about direct Iran-U.S. talks any time soon.
"I think these are good statements that both sides are at least open to this, (but) I think there have to be some ideas about how you get them to the table in a credible way," he said. "One of the worst things is that if they went to the table and then they fail ... then we really will be at an impasse."
"So I think that's very key, that when that moment comes, there's actually some forward momentum built into the talks," Mr. Nasr said.
Mr. Salehi underlined Iran's role as "an important regional player" and told the conference, "We are the golden key to the region."
Iran is a key ally of embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad. On the sidelines of the Munich meeting, the minister met the top Syrian opposition leader, Moaz al-Khatib.
Mr. Salehi welcomed Mr. al-Khatib's statements over the past week that he would be willing to sit down with representatives of Mr. Assad's regime as "a good step forward."
But amid international calls for Mr. Assad to go, he insisted that "we do not need prescriptions from outside."
"Iran has talked to the opposition; we are not categorizing the opposition; we are ready to talk to all opposition," Mr. Salehi said.
"We are ready to be part of the solution," he insisted. "The sooner that we resolve the issue, the better it is."
• Associated Press writer Don Melvin contributed to this article from Brussels.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014