- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Justice still waiting in deportation case
There is a man in Massachusetts who was ordered deported from the United States in 1992. He was subsequently arrested in 2011 for driving under the influence. He admitted that the government had enough evidence to convict him, yet he somehow got a Massachusetts judge to continue his case for a year without a finding. Look out, Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Could this signal the start of a trend in intoxicated-driving sentencing?
With the deportation order still in effect, this man has been able to get the judge to delay his deportation hearing until December.
Several things about this case stand out. First among them is an apparent lack of integrity in the legal profession that allows these situations to occur. Please don’t try to defend a 21-year failure to either deport this man or resolve the case in some way.
It also presents the question of competence of the federal court system handling deportation cases. This case can be nothing other than government incompetence or political corruption and influence-peddling between the defense and prosecution.
Our politicians are asking us to believe they are serious about immigration reform in the face of situations like this one. Somehow, they cannot understand why “we the people” just don’t believe them.
I am quite sure it is only a coincidence that the man in question is Onyango Obama, the uncle of our current president.
ROBERT A. POGGI
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions