- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Chinese portal Sohu says profit down, revenue up
BEIJING (AP) - Sohu.com Inc., which operates a popular Chinese Internet portal, said Monday its quarterly profit fell 9 percent as rising expenses offset strong revenue growth for online games.
The company earned $23 million, or 60 U.S. cents per share, in the three months ending Dec. 31. Revenue rose 22 percent from a year earlier to a record $229 million, driven by a 29 percent rise in online game revenue to $158.9 million.
Beijing-based Sohu operates online media, search, gaming and community services.
Chinese Internet companies have seen revenues improve as the country's economic growth rebounds from a three-year low last year but face high costs for technology development and bandwidth.
For the full year, Sohu's profit fell 49 percent from 2011 to $78 million, or $2.03 per share. Revenues rose 25 percent to just over $1 billion.
"Despite the slowdown in China's economic growth, I'm pleased that the Sohu Group's total annual revenues rose 25 percent year-on-year and surpassed the $1 billion mark for the first time in our history," said chairman Charles Zhang in a statement.
Expenses rose 12 percent to $141.5 million driven by higher costs for staff and marketing.
Sohu.com Inc.: http://www.sohu.com
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.