- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
Fire blower burned during Chicago opera rehearsal
CHICAGO (AP) - A Lyric Opera of Chicago performer was burned after his head caught on fire during a dress rehearsal of a production of "Die Meistersinger von Nurenberg."
Wesley Daniel, who plays a fire-blowing stilt walker, suffered burns Monday after putting alcohol in his mouth and attempting to blow fire. Lyric Opera spokeswoman Magda Krance says Daniel was wearing a flameproof costume and mask when the incident occurred.
Chicago paramedics took the 24-year-old to Northwestern Memorial Hospital suffering from burns to his face and throat. He was later transferred to Loyola University Medical Center in critical condition.
Krance says the fire-blowing effect had been approved by the Chicago Fire Department, but has been removed from future performances.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow