- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
2006 Cy Young winner Brandon Webb retires
Question of the Day
Brandon Webb, who won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006 and was one of the top pitchers in baseball before being beset by arm injuries, is retiring.
“He has worked so hard over the past three years to come back but his shoulder just wouldn’t allow it to happen,” Montana said in an email. “He’s a first class guy with a great family that he’ll get to spend more time with now.”
The 33-year-old Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2009 because of shoulder problems. He came up with Arizona in 2003 and had a 2.84 ERA in 180 innings. He pitched more than 200 innings each of the next five seasons for the Diamondbacks, using his heavy sinker to win a Cy Young and earn three All-Star selections. He finished second in the Cy Young voting in both 2007 and ‘08, winning a total of 40 games those seasons.
He threw four innings with the Diamondbacks in 2009, leaving his first start of the season with an aching shoulder and missing the rest of the season. In 2011, he signed with the Texas Rangers, but never pitched in a regular-season game.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- More immigrants deported from New Mexico center
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- Vladimir Putin pressured to aid Ukraine plane crash probe, rein in rebels
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq