- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
2006 Cy Young winner Brandon Webb retires
Brandon Webb, who won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006 and was one of the top pitchers in baseball before being beset by arm injuries, is retiring.
“He has worked so hard over the past three years to come back but his shoulder just wouldn’t allow it to happen,” Montana said in an email. “He’s a first class guy with a great family that he’ll get to spend more time with now.”
The 33-year-old Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2009 because of shoulder problems. He came up with Arizona in 2003 and had a 2.84 ERA in 180 innings. He pitched more than 200 innings each of the next five seasons for the Diamondbacks, using his heavy sinker to win a Cy Young and earn three All-Star selections. He finished second in the Cy Young voting in both 2007 and ‘08, winning a total of 40 games those seasons.
He threw four innings with the Diamondbacks in 2009, leaving his first start of the season with an aching shoulder and missing the rest of the season. In 2011, he signed with the Texas Rangers, but never pitched in a regular-season game.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.