Disney working on standalone ‘Star Wars’ films

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on standalone “Star Wars” movies that aren’t part of the planned new trilogy.

Iger told CNBC on Tuesday that the standalone movies will be based on “great `Star Wars’ characters that are not part of the overall saga.” The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, starting in 2015 with “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

Disney confirmed last month that “Star Trek” director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the “Star Wars” saga.

Disney bought “Star Wars” maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.

The “Star Wars” prequel trilogy was released from 1999 to 2005.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks