The cause of Sunday’s 34-minute Super Bowl power outage may still be a mystery, but documents show that Superdome officials had been warned months earlier about the subpar electrical system and the need for overhaul.
As far back as October, Superdome officials worried about losing power during the Super Bowl, The Associated Press reported. State officials, AP said, wrote a memo on Oct. 15 expressing concern over decaying lines and utility tests that showed “a chance of failure.” The utility company that supplies the stadium with power also expressed concern, according to the memo.
Sunday’s power shutdown was an embarrassment for New Orleans, which was trying to boost its image in the wake of devastations that stemmed from Hurricane Katrina, AP reported.
The exact cause of the power loss will likely take days to determine, one utility official said, in the AP report.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
The president's men trash the Constitution to pursue antagonists
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention