- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
In Vegas, Abrams gives few hints about ‘Star Wars’
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A newly announced “Star Wars” sequel was on everyone’s mind when J.J. Abrams took the stage Wednesday at a Las Vegas video game conference, but he made only a sideways mention of the film he has been hired to direct.
The reference was a throw-away joke from his last franchise reboot.
The director played a scene from his 2009 “Star Trek” film to illustrate the importance of embroidering films with subtle details, and freeze-framed on a shot of a familiar “Star Wars” robot peeking from space junk.
“So they’re looking at all the debris that’s out there, and curiously, it’s R2D2,” he said, drawing a roar of laughter.
“So now I have to go back through your movies looking at all the debris to figure out what movie you’re going to direct next?” Newell asked.
Abrams has given die-hard fans few clues about his vision for the seventh live-action “Star Wars” film. He was announced as its director in January.
The Sin City appearance left fans of The Force hungering for more insight.
“I’d love to know who they’ll focus on, what character, how far in the future it will be set, things like that,” said Sadierose Schwartzmiller, 19, a comic-book creator who won her ticket to the event in an art contest.
Abrams has made a name for himself as a trusted steward of beloved fantasy universes, directing well-received additions to the “Star Trek” and “Mission: Impossible” franchises.
“Star Wars” creator George Lucas opened the door to the latest round of spin-offs when he sold his Lucasfilm empire to The Walt Disney Co. for $4.05 billion last fall. The company is planning three sequels and two peripheral movies focusing on characters.
“Episode VII” is tentatively scheduled for release in the summer of 2015.
Last month, Abrams told a group of reporters that he wanted to make sure the sequel was “something that touches people.”
On Wednesday, he did give his audience of nerds and gamers one revelation when he announced his intention to collaborate with Newell _ the man behind the hit games “Portal,” “Half-Life” and “Counter-Strike.”
“There’s an idea that we had for a game that we’d like to develop,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again