- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Potentially dangerous sports are elective
“Blind side to concussions: NFL’s latest legal blows give feeble push to NCAA” (Web, Tuesday) focuses on college and professional league sports. Missing from the discourse is any mention of high school injuries, and even the next lower class of youth league sports.
All contact sports are potentially open to head injuries and other injuries. One such sport is boxing, and wrestling exposes athletes to concussions as well. It is logical that rules and equipment design in sports include injury-avoidance considerations. It is distressing that our legal system feeds on this. Perhaps the next logical measure is that all participants in sports, especially those playing professional football, be required to sign a waiver to legal action in the event of injury. No one is forcing these players to participate in the sports.
JERRY L. SHINN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start