- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Potentially dangerous sports are elective
Question of the Day
“Blind side to concussions: NFL’s latest legal blows give feeble push to NCAA” (Web, Tuesday) focuses on college and professional league sports. Missing from the discourse is any mention of high school injuries, and even the next lower class of youth league sports.
All contact sports are potentially open to head injuries and other injuries. One such sport is boxing, and wrestling exposes athletes to concussions as well. It is logical that rules and equipment design in sports include injury-avoidance considerations. It is distressing that our legal system feeds on this. Perhaps the next logical measure is that all participants in sports, especially those playing professional football, be required to sign a waiver to legal action in the event of injury. No one is forcing these players to participate in the sports.
JERRY L. SHINN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado