- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Colorado Democrats bring on the anti-gun bills
House Democrats in Colorado made good on vows to tighten gun laws in the state, and on Thursday introduced a package of bills that would do everything from banning high-capacity ammunition magazines to mandating background checks on all gun sales.
The proposals came just two days after the Democrats held an emotion-filled press conference, during which they pledged to reduce gun-related crime in the state, the Denver Post reported.
Democrats plan to bring forth eight different gun-control bills. On Thursday, they formally introduced half, the Denver Post reported. In addition to the magazine limits and background check requirements, the legislation also imposes fees on would-be purchasers to get their background checks conducted, and prohibits concealed weapons on all college campuses, the Denver Post continues.
Currently, background checks in the state are free, the report said.
The penalty for violating the magazine provision — if passed in the Democrat-controlled state legislature — could bring a year in jail along with fines, the Denver Post said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- good to go test
- another test dont post this please
- Russia poised to ban curse words in movies, concerts
- USF decrees: No onstage selfies during graduation ceremonies
- test do not post
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014