- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Neb. mom convicted of prostituting daughters has decades added to sentence
Question of the Day
FRANKLIN, Neb. — A mother convicted of prostituting her 7- and 14-year-old daughters using online ads across south-central Nebraska has received up to 60 more years in prison in her last round of sentencing.
The 36-year-old woman was sentenced Thursday for nine charges in Franklin relating to the prostitution of the girls, the Kearney Hub reported.
The woman already had been sentenced to several decades in prison for similar charges in other counties. In January, she was sentenced in Buffalo County to 80 to 90 years in prison. She garnered an additional 20 years from Furnas County District Court earlier this week.
The Associated Press is not using the woman’s name to protect the identity of the girls. The AP does not usually identify victims of sex crimes.
On Thursday, the woman was sentenced to 40 to 50 years on each of five counts of visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct. She also was sentenced to 25 to 30 years for each of two counts of human trafficking and five years for each of two counts of child abuse. Many of the sentences issued Thursday are to be served at the same time.
When all of her sentences in the case are combined, the woman will be nearly 88 years old before she is eligible for parole, Franklin Deputy County Attorney Henry Schenker said.
Investigators have said the woman placed a personal ad online offering female companionship. She offered her 14-year-old daughter to an undercover police officer who posed as a man answering the ad on April 26, authorities say.
In Buffalo County alone, prosecutors said, the mother let at least seven men have sex with her 14-year-old at least 20 times and at least three men had sex with the 7-year-old.
Five men have been convicted in the case so far and await sentencing.
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq