- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Neb. mom convicted of prostituting daughters has decades added to sentence
FRANKLIN, Neb. — A mother convicted of prostituting her 7- and 14-year-old daughters using online ads across south-central Nebraska has received up to 60 more years in prison in her last round of sentencing.
The 36-year-old woman was sentenced Thursday for nine charges in Franklin relating to the prostitution of the girls, the Kearney Hub reported.
The woman already had been sentenced to several decades in prison for similar charges in other counties. In January, she was sentenced in Buffalo County to 80 to 90 years in prison. She garnered an additional 20 years from Furnas County District Court earlier this week.
The Associated Press is not using the woman’s name to protect the identity of the girls. The AP does not usually identify victims of sex crimes.
On Thursday, the woman was sentenced to 40 to 50 years on each of five counts of visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct. She also was sentenced to 25 to 30 years for each of two counts of human trafficking and five years for each of two counts of child abuse. Many of the sentences issued Thursday are to be served at the same time.
When all of her sentences in the case are combined, the woman will be nearly 88 years old before she is eligible for parole, Franklin Deputy County Attorney Henry Schenker said.
Investigators have said the woman placed a personal ad online offering female companionship. She offered her 14-year-old daughter to an undercover police officer who posed as a man answering the ad on April 26, authorities say.
In Buffalo County alone, prosecutors said, the mother let at least seven men have sex with her 14-year-old at least 20 times and at least three men had sex with the 7-year-old.
Five men have been convicted in the case so far and await sentencing.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Doctors say profound new HIV treatment may prove the cure
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.