- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 1, 2013

NEW YORK — As the city grapples with rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy, developers are pressing ahead with plans for an ambitious addition to the shoreline of storm-torn Staten Island: the world’s largest Ferris wheel.

Sandy’s flooding spurred some changes to the nearly $500 million project, which includes an outlet mall and hotel. But developers haven’t slowed it or scaled it back. Supporters say Staten Island needs the boost now more than ever.

Yet some residents, a city watchdog and a planning group have asked whether it makes sense to push ahead with a 625-foot-tall tourist attraction, set partly in a flood zone, before officials take a comprehensive look at how to build smarter after Sandy. And some say it’s unseemly to talk about amusement rides when Sandy has left a trail of loss.

The storm gave wheel developer Richard Marin “momentary pause,” he said. But he quickly decided to keep going on a project he considers a one-of-a-kind boon for the city’s oft-dubbed “forgotten borough.”


“We’re providing some things for the city and for the local community that they would have no other way of getting right now,” said Mr. Marin, the chief executive of New York Wheel LLC. “Quite frankly, this borough is extremely lucky that this kind of project is under way.”

The company is looking to line up a multimillion-dollar sponsor by April, with serious interest from a half-dozen companies at the moment, as the project works its way through various government reviews, Mr. Marin said.

The city Economic Development Corp., which is playing a leading role in the reviews, says it’s “as committed as ever” to the plan. Private money will pay for the project, and the city would get $2.5 million a year in rent for two parking lots where the wheel, mall and hotel would be.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg envisions the attraction becoming one of the city’s premier draws, offering vistas of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty to as many as 30,000 riders a day. Sen. Charles E. Schumer has called the wheel “Staten Island’s Eiffel Tower.” Developers aim to get it going by the end of 2015.

The project is several miles from the Staten Island communities Sandy struck hardest. Still, the storm pushed 3 to 4 feet of seawater onto the wheel and mall sites, developers said.

The project was already planned so ground floors would sit above what the federal government has, at least to this point, considered a once-in-100-year flood. But the 100-shop outlet center and 200-room hotel are already being raised another 2 feet. The wheel’s terminal building may also be moved up.

Nonetheless, since Sandy, the developers have been making sure the buildings can withstand flooding, Mr. Marin said. Surfaces on the wheel terminal’s ground floor are now being planned in marble or other materials that can withstand seawater. Mr. Marin said developers are ensuring that electrical and mechanical equipment will be 30 feet above sea level, and the wheel itself will be designed to withstand sustained winds up to 129 mph, far stronger than Sandy’s.

But in Sandy’s wake, some Staten Island residents are questioning whether it’s the right time and place for the attraction.

Nancy Rooney, a nurse who lives and works on the island, went to a public meeting about the project last month and left with a rueful feeling about it.

“It was in poor taste to be discussing a Ferris wheel and all this glamour. It was very hard to embrace this when you knew that your colleagues and their family members were devastated, and there were people who don’t have heat or electricity or homes,” she said later.

Several City Council members and state legislators said in a letter they were aghast that the meeting was held little more than two weeks after the Oct. 29 storm, though they remained “generally supportive” of the project.

Story Continues →