- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Reactions to nominations for 85th Academy Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Reactions to nominations announced Thursday for the 85th annual Academy Awards:
“I’m completely freaking out.” _ First-time filmmaker Behn Zeitlin, nominated for directing and co-writing best picture contender “Beasts of the Southern Wild.”
“I got an email from a lot of people saying `Wow’ and `Yippee’ and I had no idea what the hell they were talking about. Nobody bothered to tell me I’d gotten the nomination. They were just sending one word superlatives.” _ Alan Arkin on learning about his supporting actor nomination via text messages.
“I’ve already had two mimosas today.” _ Anne Hathaway on her early-morning celebration for her supporting-actress nod in “Les Miserables.”
“This is our first day of filming. It’s not a bad way to start.” _ Best actor nominee Hugh Jackman, who is in Atlanta shooting “Prisoners.”
“It was totally unforeseen. No European producer, no European director can seriously hope to get five nominations in the competition of the Oscar. It’s totally exceptional.” _ “Amour” producer Margaret Menegoz.
“I’ve got pants on, so it must be real.” _ Musician Mychael Danna wrapping his mind around his two Oscar nominations for original song and score for “Life of Pi.”
“The kilt is wool. Hot or cold I’m very comfortable.” _ “Brave” co-director and co-writer Mark Andrews, on his plans to wear a kilt to the Oscars.
“My youngest son is here with me because he’s going to take me to these events so it looks like I have a date, you know what I mean… He’s happy to join me on a lot of these things so it’s not Sally plus none.” _ Supporting actress nominee Sally Field on her date for the show.
“I would like to change the fashion protocol. Since these shows are in January and February, I wish it was a contest for who had the best cashmere sweater and warm boots. I’m not getting any traction on that.” _ Helen Hunt, nominated for supporting actress for “The Sessions,” on her red-carpet approach.
“It feels like the first time all over again.” _ Oscar winner Steven Spielberg on the 12 nominations for “Lincoln.”
“It’s great when it’s mixed up and it’s not just always the same people from every awards ceremony categorically over and over again.” _ Best Actress nominee Naomi Watts on how the 2012 Oscars feature some surprise nominees.
AP Entertainment Writers Anthony McCartney and Sandy Cohen contributed to this report.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Young and healthy millennials create risky imbalance by shunning Obamacare
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.