- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2013: Capsules on top women
2012 Match Record: 69-10
2012 Singles Titles: 6
Career Singles Titles: 14
Major Titles: 1 _ Australian Open (‘12)
Last 5 Australian Opens: `12-Won Championship, `11-Lost in 4th Round, `10-Quarterfinals, `09-4th, `08-3rd
Topspin: Won her first major title in January at the Australian Open, with a comprehensive 6-3, 6-0 defeat of Maria Sharapova in her first trip to a major final. … Her 26-match winning streak was the longest at the start of a season since 1997. … She was beaten in the fourth round at the French Open and then lost to Serena Williams in the semifinals at Wimbledon and the final at the U.S. Open. … Says she’s focused on defending her Australian title rather than being the woman who can end Serena Williams‘ recent dominating run. … “I try to look at what can I do to win those titles, not to see who I can stop from winning those titles.” … Has lost 11 of 12 matches against Williams, and withdrew from their semifinal at the Brisbane International last week after having part of the nail on her right big toe removed.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow