- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
CURL: Why you’re right to hate both parties
Seriously, is there anything more sickening than Congress?
You know what’s better than Congress. Lice. Brussels sprouts. Colonoscopies. Root canals.
Wait, there’s more. According to a poll from Public Policy Polling, traffic jams are more popular than Congress. So are carnies (including that weird White House carny with the small hands, Jay Carney). Genghis Khan is more popular; so are cockroaches. Even Nickelback rates higher than Congress (and if you’ve ever heard “Photograph,” you know they might just be the worst band in the history of music).
There’s an easy-to-see reason why: They’re liars (yes, even used-car salesmen rate higher). Our elected lawmakers are liars. Worse, they don’t think for themselves, ever. In The World Of Washington The Way It Is Now, a member of Congress is nothing more than a mindless rat, pushing the little bar to get a feed pellet. If a Republican proposed a bill praising all puppies, Democrats would oppose it. If a Democrat wanted to proclaim the moms of America “superawesome,” Republicans would take to the floor to shred Motherhood.
Consider these two horrible things: Partial-birth abortion and high-powered assault weapons. A hundred years from now, humans in America will say, “Wait, we used to do what to unborn babies?” and “Hold on, people used to be able to buy guns that fired 800 rounds per minute?”
Partial-birth abortion first. Now, this is one gruesome procedure. A fully-formed fetus, likely able to survive outside the mother, is delivered part way down the birth canal, then literally killed. Proponents called it “intact dilation and extraction.” Those people a hundred years from now will call it murder: And they’ll be right.
How does it work? “The fetus is turned to a breech position, if necessary, and the doctor pulls one or both legs out of the womb,” is, well, let’s just go to a Wikipedia summary, already in progress: “The doctor subsequently extracts the rest of the fetus, leaving only the head still inside the uterus. An incision is made at the base of the skull, a blunt dissector (such as a Kelly clamp) is inserted into the incision and opened to widen the opening, and then a suction catheter is inserted into the opening. The brain is suctioned out, which causes the skull to collapse and allows the fetus to pass more easily through the cervix.”
Yeah. We used to do that, not all that long ago. Now, when Republicans sought to outlaw the murder of babies, Democrats howled. In fact, 137 Democrats in the House voted to continue the procedure; 30 Democrats in the Senate saw nothing wrong with sucking the brain out of a baby.
The ban did pass, but during the debate, Democrats pulled out the oldest card in the book. If you outlaw partial-birth abortion, they said, it won’t be long until women will be in dark alleys performing abortions with coat hangers. Slippery slope! Where does it stop?! Mayday! Mayday!
Of course, it was a ridiculous argument, absurd, surreal. No man in his right mind could possibly make a case for suctioning the brain out of a partially delivered fetus, could they? But men had done just that: Women, and women alone, should make all such decisions, the cowed Democratic lawmakers in Congress declared. Who are we to decide?
Well, we’re human beings. And that’s just wrong. Democrats = wrong. Case closed. Wiser men and women prevailed, and the practice was outlawed.
The same farcical canard has come up just this month, with the shoe on the other foot. A mentally ill boy, Adam Lanza, killed dozens of small children in an elementary school. Awful. He used an AR-15. So, according to authorities, did James Holmes, the “Joker” who killed a dozen in a Colorado theater.
The AR-15 is designed for war. Perfectly designed. It’s the civilian version of the M-16, the go-to-war weapon for decades. The home-version, semi-automatic weapon fires fast and lots: Clips hold 20 or 30 rounds (Mr. Holmes is accused of having used a 100-round drum magazine, like Sylvester Stallone in … well, any movie). They are literally killer machines, weapons of mass destruction.
So, Democrats howled again — but this time, they were right. We’ve got to outlaw those war weapons, they said. Republicans, predictably, played the slippery-slope card. “If they ban high-powered assault weapons, you can bet it won’t be long before they come for our coon-hunting rifles.”
About the Author
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Sen. Richard Durbin: No line in the sand on unemployment benefits
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rep. Mike McCaul: 'Al Qaeda's on the run' is 'false narrative'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!