- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
Miss America journeys from small town to big city
Question of the Day
Hagan said it was her mother who encouraged her to address the problem of child sex abuse, which had “rippled through” her family.
Hagan’s mother, Mandy Moore, was overcome with emotion and wiped tears away as she spoke.
“It’s very overwhelming,” she said. “It’s all hitting me so fast.”
Hagan said she will work to make education to prevent child abuse mandatory in all 50 states.
Also working against Hagan was her final question, should schools hire armed guards in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shooting.
Conventional wisdom holds that contestants who receive questions about controversial topics are less likely to win. But Hagan said she didn’t panic.
“I’m not sure that it came out as eloquently as I would have liked it to, but my views remain the same: It’s never OK to fight violence with violence.”
With crown, she receives a $50,000 college scholarship and a year as an instant celebrity and role model. She defeated Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers, who took second, and Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton, who finished third.
“I think she willed this to happen,” said Gunnels. “She’s just that determined. Who would have that that a girl from Opelika, Alabama, would ever do that?”
Moore is based in Phoenix. Jay Reeves contributed from Birmingham, Ala., and Deepti Hajela from New York City.
Hannah Dreier can be reached at http://twitter.com/hannahdreier
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world