- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
SHOW BITS: Olympians make the scene
BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. (AP) - Show Bits brings you the 70th annual Golden Globes awards through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
Olympic champions Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin and Evan Lysacek shed their athletic garb and slipped on slinky duds to walk the red carpet at the Golden Globes.
“Evan put it perfectly,” Franklin said. “He said, `This is kind of like the Olympics for the celebrities.’”
Douglas, the all-around gymnastics champion, shimmered and shivered in a lime dress on the chilly carpet, where temps hovered in the 50s.
Franklin, the five-time swimming medalist, wore a black silk gown with a sparkly statement necklace.
Lysacek, the reigning Olympic figure skating champion, donned a black velvet tuxedo that would have looked equally as dashing on the ice.
“I want to see everyone,” gushed Douglas, who stopped to pose for a picture with Sean “Diddy” Combs. “I want to meet Emma Stone. I’m having so much fun.”
_ Beth Harris _ Twitter http://www.twitter.com/bethharrisap
“When my name was called, my knees gave a little bit. Actually, I was sitting. My knees gave when I walked up there.” _ Christoph Waltz, who won a Golden Globe for supporting actor for his role in “Django Unchained.”
_ Anthony McCartney_ Twitter http://www.twitter.com/mccartneyAP
Golden Globe nominees Steve Buscemi and Louis C.K. shared some love inside the Beverly Hilton Hotel International Ballroom as they waited to find out whether they’d go home winners or losers.
“Thanks, it was fun,” the comedian said sheepishly after the star of “Boardwalk Empire” complimented him on his Globe-nominated performance in “Louie.”
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again