- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
THE OLYMPICS FOR CELEBRITIES
Question of the Day
BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. (AP) - Olympic champions Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin and Evan Lysacek shed their athletic garb and slipped on slinky duds to walk the red carpet at the Golden Globes.
“Evan put it perfectly,” Franklin said. “He said, `This is kind of like the Olympics for the celebrities.’”
Douglas, the all-around gymnastics champion, shimmered and shivered in lime on the chilly carpet, where temps hovered in the 50s.
Franklin, the five-time swimming medalist, wore a black silk gown with a sparkly statement necklace.
Lysacek, the reigning Olympic figure skating champion, donned a black velvet tuxedo that would have looked equally as dashing on the ice.
“I want to see everyone,” gushed Douglas, who stopped to pose for a picture with Sean “Diddy” Combs. “I want to meet Emma Stone. I’m having so much fun.”
_ Beth Harris _ Twitter http://www.twitter.com/bethharrisap
EDITOR’S NOTE _ Show Bits brings you the 70th annual Golden Globes through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq