- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fight against court tyranny
Question of the Day
Is anyone in the liberal world ever responsible or accountable for anything? Bankruptcy Judge Martin Glen has denied a request from a coalition of former MF Global customers to depose former New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and other senior company officials, saying the customers have no standing because they were not direct clients of MF Global Holdings Inc.
This is an abusive interpretation of the law, giving the corrupt Mr. Corzine and his cronies cover from answering questions under oath about the shenanigans that went on at MF Global with investor money. So who, if not the folks whose money Mr. Corzine and MF Global put at risk, does have standing to question him and his cronies under oath?
The federal courts used to be the one government apparatus to which citizens could go for relief, giving every citizen, no matter what their station in life, equal standing with even the wealthiest and most powerful among us. Now the federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, have become enablers for corruption in the halls of government and the boardrooms of America.
This is the tyranny of government Americans must be vigilant about and guard against. Denying citizens their day in court engenders hostility toward the justice system and reinforces the cynical belief that if you are wealthy, you can buy the justice you want at the expense of other citizens’ rights.
ALAN J. QUARTARARO
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'