- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Karzai: U.S. has promised us a drone fleet
The U.S. will will leave Afghanistan with a parting gift: a fleet of high tech surveillance drones as a parting gift.
American troops will even teach Afghans how to fly the unmanned aircraft, Afghan President Hamid Karzai revealed this week in his first media appearance since meeting with President Obama in Washington Friday.
"Afghanistan will be provided with … intelligence-gathering equipment which will be used to defend and protect our air and ground sovereignty," he said.
The gift package would also include 20 helicopters and at least four C-130 transport planes.
Critics have expressed concerns with such a plan, especially considering the increasingly frequent attacks on U.S. troops by terrorists disguised as Afghan police.
Although the drones would be equipped for surveillance missions only, it is unclear how the U.S. would keep track of the drones — or prevent the country from arming them on its own.
The U.S. has said only that it is still negotiating the exact terms of its relationship with Afghanistan after the formal end of the military mission in 2014.
TWT Video Picks
An appeals court upholds the Senate's right to make its filibuster rules
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.