- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Lindsay Lohan: Actress, through her attorney, pleads not guilty to misdemeanors
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lindsay Lohan pleaded not guilty Tuesday to three misdemeanor charges related to a car crash and was ordered to appear in court for a hearing later this month.
Her plea was entered by her attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, who declined to comment after the hearing. Miss Lohan was not required to attend.
Superior Court Commissioner Jane Godfrey said the actress must appear at a Jan. 30 pretrial hearing.
Miss Lohan is charged with lying to police, reckless driving and obstructing police from performing their duties.
Police suspect Miss Lohan was driving her sports car when it slammed into a dump truck while she was on her way to the set of “Liz & Dick” in early June. Miss Lohan told police she wasn’t behind the wheel.
Miss Lohan was on probation for a 2011 necklace theft case at the time and could face up to 245 days in jail if a judge determines she violated her probation.
Commissioner Godfrey also set a Feb. 27 trial date on the misdemeanor counts.
The accident was not the only problem Miss Lohan encountered while shooting “Liz & Dick,” a film based on the love affair between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
She also was arrested in New York after an alleged fight with a woman, but a criminal complaint hasn’t been drawn up. The district attorney’s office there said last week that an inquiry was ongoing.
A week after the car accident, paramedics were summoned to Miss Lohan’s hotel room when she was late getting to the set. Her publicist at the time attributed her absence to fatigue and dehydration.
The film was expected to be a comeback opportunity for Miss Lohan, who spent the past several years struggling with criminal court cases. Her performance, however, was panned by critics and fans.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.