- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Nats trade Morse to Seattle in 3-team deal
The NL East champion Nationals reacquired pitching prospect A.J. Cole, dealt from Washington to Oakland just 13 months ago in the trade for Gio Gonzalez. Washington also got pitcher Blake Treinen and a player to be named.
Morse hit .291 with 18 home runs and 62 RBIs for the Nationals in an injury-plagued season, playing mostly as an outfielder. The Nationals acquired Denard Span in a trade and contemplated moving the 30-year-old Morse to first base but then re-signed Adam LaRoche. Morse played for the Mariners from 2005-08.
Jaso, 29, batted .276 with 10 homers and 50 RBIs but became expendable when Seattle signed Raul Ibanez to be its designated hitter, a move that shifts Jesus Montero from a catcher-DH split to primarily behind the plate. The AL West champion A’s had Kurt Suzuki as their main catcher last season before trading him to the Nationals.
Cole, a 21-year-old right-hander, was among four players traded by Washington to Oakland in December 2011 for pitcher Gio Gonzalez. Cole was 0-7 with a 7.82 ERA in eight games at Stockton of the California League and 6-3 with a 2.07 ERA at Burlington of the Midwest League, both Class A level.
To open a roster spot, Oakland designated catcher George Kottaras for assignment.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.