- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Briefly: Judge sends rape case to new fast-track court
NEW DELHI — An Indian magistrate on Thursday ordered the trial of five men accused in the fatal gang rape and beating of a young woman on a bus to be shifted to a special fast-track court in New Delhi.
The rape of the 23-year-old student last month set off protests in New Delhi and sparked a national debate about the treatment of women across the country and the inability of law enforcement to protect them.
In an effort to address some of that criticism, the government set up five fast-track courts in the capital in recent weeks to deal swiftly with crimes against women.
Authorities were eager to move the case into one of those courts, which are designed to avoid the delays, incompetence and corruption that plague much of India’s legal system.
Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal dealt with several procedural issues during a session Thursday morning, and then reconvened the court in the afternoon for a second session at which she ordered the transfer to a fast-track court.
The first hearing is to be held there Monday.
A sixth suspect in the attack claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
Son of general slain in ‘77 now country’s military chief
MANILA — The son of a Philippine army general killed with 34 of his men by Muslim guerrillas in a 1977 massacre assumed the country’s top military post Thursday, calling on insurgents to abandon their decades-long rebellions and vowing to respect human rights in all military campaigns.
Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista said in austere ceremonies led by President Benigno Aquino III that the 120,000-strong military needed to be freed up from counterinsurgency operations to allow government troops to focus on other urgent tasks, including strengthening the country’s territorial defense.
Gen. Bautista, 54, said he was dedicating the final chapter of his military career to his father, a one-star army general who was gunned down with his men by Muslim rebels from the Moro National Liberation Front who had invited him to a peace dialogue in the coastal town of Patikul in October 1977 on Jolo island.
20,000 people evacuated as floods paralyze capital
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on 'outdated' agencies
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
This column will cover anything that has anything remotely to do with the game of baseball, from the game itself to mid-summer trades to offseason moves.
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Political satirist and Christian apologist Bob Siegel discusses religion and politics.
White House pets gone wild!