- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Cruise possibly latest target of fake 911 call
Question of the Day
BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. (AP) - Tom Cruise may be the latest so-called “swatting” victim after police responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at the actor’s Beverly Hills house on Thursday and found no crime had been committed, authorities said.
Shortly after noon, police received a call reporting a robbery in progress, Sgt. Renato Moreno said. Officers responded to the house, spoke with private security and then conducted a search. Nothing was found.
Cruise and his family weren’t home when the call was made. There were no arrests.
Police are investigating the incident as a false report of an emergency, a practice that has been dubbed “swatting” because it is intended to get multiple officers, including specialized SWAT teams sent to a home.
In December, a juvenile was arrested after allegedly making calls that reported violence at the homes of Justin Bieber and Ashton Kutcher. Prosecutors are reviewing the case and haven’t yet made a decision on whether to file charges.
Similar hoax calls have been made involving the homes of Miley Cyrus and Simon Cowell.
Responding to such calls usually means more than half of the emergency resources in Beverly Hills are being used, Moreno said.
“It certainly is something that ties us up,” Moreno said.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors