- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Timeline of Te’o quotes in girlfriend hoax story
All-American linebacker Manti Te'o talked to, and about, someone posing as Lennay Kekua online and on the phone in late 2011 and 2012. After media were told Kekua died of leukemia last September, Te'o talked about her with reporters numerous times. This is a chronology of how the fake girlfriend story grew, based primarily on Te'o’s comments in social media and interviews.
May 13, 2012 _ From Te’o’s Twitter account: “Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs 31:10 (hash)LMK
July 23 _ From Te’o’s Twitter account: mteo_5 Manti Te’o Be strong. Be brave. Never give up. (hash)3words (at)LennayKay
Sept. 13 _ Asked by reporters, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says Te'o will play against Michigan State that Saturday despite the deaths that week of two people close to him. Media reports the next day identify the two as his grandmother and his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua. Public records confirm that his grandmother, Annette Santiago, died Sept. 11.
Sept. 15 _ Te'o has 12 tackles and breaks up two passes and the 20th-ranked Fighting Irish win 20-3 at No. 10 Michigan State. Te'o says afterward “I lost two women that I truly love” and that he had “my girlfriend’s family around me.”
Sept. 23 _ In a one-on-one interview with Sports Illustrated, Te'o talks at length about his relationship with Kekua and her many health issues, making only one vague reference to meeting her for the first time in California in 2009. “We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.” He told SI they had been dating for a year. “Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I’ve known her for four years. So we’ve been friends.” A transcript of the interview was posted Thursday.
Oct. 1 _ A Sports Illustrated cover story describes how Te'o received a call from Kekua’s older brother informing him of her death. Te'o says: “My girlfriend always told me, `Send roses while they can still smell them, tell people you love them while they can still hear.’”
Oct. 3 _ Te'o says at a media availability that during the walk-through before the Irish’s Sept. 22 game against Michigan, he asked what time it was and realized Kekua’s casket had been closed a minute earlier. He says she wanted him to skip her funeral to play. He had two interceptions in that 13-6 victory.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again