- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Bengals lineman arrested with gun at airport
Question of the Day
Smith, 25, of Birmingham, Ala., was arrested around 4:50 p.m. Thursday at a security checkpoint at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. A .38-caliber handgun was found in his carry-on bag, said Atlanta police Sgt. Greg Lyon.
Smith was charged with carrying a weapon in an unauthorized location and was taken to the Clayton County Jail in Jonesboro _ about 20 miles south of Atlanta. He posted $3,000 bond Friday, according to court records.
Smith made his initial court appearance Friday and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Feb. 4, according to court documents.
Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said franchise officials will not comment on ongoing legal matters, and a call to Smith’s attorney was not immediately returned. Smith was a first-round draft pick in 2009 out of Alabama.
Jon Allen, a TSA spokesman, said Smith’s loaded gun is the third firearm recovered at the airport in 2013.
“We continue to remind passengers of the importance of looking through carry-on bags to ensure there are no prohibited items inside,” Allen said. He added that firearms may be packed into checked baggage.
With 100 guns being confiscated from passengers’ bags in 2012, the world’s busiest airport also ranked first nationally in terms of the number of weapons seized from passengers.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world