- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Government-issued gun language misleads
Question of the Day
Associated Press reporter Bob Lewis made the common mistake of using the words Democrats have chosen to define the issue of gun ownership (“Checks of gun show purchasers supported,” Web, Thursday).
There is no “gun show loophole.” The vast majority of sellers at gun shows are dealers. In fact, it is difficult to find any individual selling guns at a show who is not a dealer. The “gun show loophole” is not an unintentional “loophole” in the law, but rather the sale of a firearm from one private individual to another, which has never been regulated.
Mr. Lewis also uses the term “assault weapon” without defining it. An “assault weapon” is selective fire, meaning it is capable of fully automatic fire and is a weapon used in combat. Civilian look-alikes are just that — look-alikes — and are not capable of automatic fire. In today’s combat, you would be crazy to take a firearm that was not capable of automatic fire. Finally, Mr. Lewis uses the phrase “gun control.” However, it’s not guns that need control — it is the people. Guns are inanimate objects, devoid of free will. They do not need to be controlled.
I was, however, happy to see that Mr. Lewis did not use the phrase “gun violence,” since as inanimate objects, guns are not capable of violence. Neither are bath tubs, which are involved in the deaths of dozens of people, including children, every year.
FREDERICK G. SCOTT
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling