- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Government-issued gun language misleads
Associated Press reporter Bob Lewis made the common mistake of using the words Democrats have chosen to define the issue of gun ownership (“Checks of gun show purchasers supported,” Web, Thursday).
There is no “gun show loophole.” The vast majority of sellers at gun shows are dealers. In fact, it is difficult to find any individual selling guns at a show who is not a dealer. The “gun show loophole” is not an unintentional “loophole” in the law, but rather the sale of a firearm from one private individual to another, which has never been regulated.
Mr. Lewis also uses the term “assault weapon” without defining it. An “assault weapon” is selective fire, meaning it is capable of fully automatic fire and is a weapon used in combat. Civilian look-alikes are just that — look-alikes — and are not capable of automatic fire. In today’s combat, you would be crazy to take a firearm that was not capable of automatic fire. Finally, Mr. Lewis uses the phrase “gun control.” However, it’s not guns that need control — it is the people. Guns are inanimate objects, devoid of free will. They do not need to be controlled.
I was, however, happy to see that Mr. Lewis did not use the phrase “gun violence,” since as inanimate objects, guns are not capable of violence. Neither are bath tubs, which are involved in the deaths of dozens of people, including children, every year.
FREDERICK G. SCOTT
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'