- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: GOP will take fall for ‘cliff’ deal
Question of the Day
In the final days of 2012, with Congress facing the proverbial choice between a rock and a hard place and not able to agree on either one, the “hope and change” mantra became “something’s gotta give” (“Boehner splits with GOP on ‘fiscal cliff’ vote,” Web, Tuesday). Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, blamed any chance of an agreement on the fiscal cliff talks on U.S. House Speaker John A. Boehner.
A Google search for “fiscal cliff” last week brought up 984 million results in 0.19 seconds. The top story: “Reid: ‘Fiscal cliff’ failure likely due to Boehner’s House ‘dictatorship.’” Millions of others were talking about it. Too bad our elected officials weren’t. Despite the rare Christmas-week session, Mr. Reid said there was not enough time to get the deal done before Tuesday. Most employees wouldn’t have had a chance to leave early for the holidays without getting their work done, he said, especially work that would change the nation.
Anyone who regularly listened to my late husband’s radio program, “The Ron Smith Show,” would know that this was simply business as usual. The Democrats still hold the keys to any compromise, but the Republicans will be blamed for the consequences. To quote a line President Obama used in another context, “This … would be really interesting if we weren’t in the middle of it.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line