- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Has Senate outlived usefulness?
Because the Senate no longer seems to do what it was created to do, “we the people” might consider eliminating it.
The Senate was created so the states would have their representation in the government and so the government would never be more powerful than the states. Since the passage of the 17th Amendment, the people are represented in both the House of Representatives and the Senate so they, not the states, are already approving treaties and presidential appointments. All of that could be done in the House.
Look at the incompetence of the Senate. It has not passed a budget in three years, nor did it take any action on a bill sent to it in September to avoid going over the “fiscal cliff.” Perhaps we should consider the billions of dollars that would be saved by abolishing the Senate and extending the term of our representatives to four years, with their elections coinciding with the presidential election.
The only common-sense thing to do at this point seems to be to abolish the Senate or repeal the 17th Amendment and restore the states’ representation in our government.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine