- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Not a happy new year
Question of the Day
Considering the flurry of spending and finance-suppression laws by congressional Democrats and President Obama during the first two years of his presidency, plus the rush of executive edicts, regulations, enormous deficits, mounting debt and the “fiscal cliff,” something became painfully clear: This was not a very merry Christmas. Alas, more taxes, regulations, spending and a deeper second recession are coming, which means it certainly won’t be a happy new year for years to come (“Obama’s hidden-tax heist,” Web, Dec. 24).
Indeed, not since President Lyndon B. Johnson’s war on poverty and the “Great Society” illusion that created the dependency class have a president and Democratic Congress done so much damage to America, our prosperity, our freedoms and our future.
Also worth mentioning: The relentless push of Presidents Carter and Clinton for “affordable” housing, which caused the housing and financial crash of 2008, and Mr. Obama’s foreign policy and national security failures.
DANIEL B. JEFFS
Apple Valley, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
- Bill Maher blames Hamas for Gaza violence: 'Do you really expect the Israelis not to retaliate?'
- HUMPHRIES: 'Hes the Worst President in 70 Years'