- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pressure Morsi government to end killing
Our Founders had it right when they agreed on the language in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution regarding the Establishment Clause and freedom of religion. They observed firsthand the dangers of a theocracy with the Anglican Church of England (the “established church”) and the power it wielded over the state.
The Founders also recognized the problems that would be created by a powerful federal government intruding on the right of people to practice their religion. The language of the First Amendment was cleverly fashioned to protect both the church and the state from exerting undue power over the other.
What we are seeing in Egypt with the Coptic Christians and the Morsi government is contrary to the balanced approached that was part of our First Amendment, and stands as a potential religious holocaust. Therefore, reasonable people must stand up and express their disgust with the abhorrent behavior on the part of the Egyptian government and military, and pressure Mr. Morsi to end the slaughter of innocent men, women and children who have a right to religious freedom. Otherwise, we will all be complicit in yet another holocaust, the full magnitude of which has yet to be played out.
LT. COL. ROBERT L. WEINHOLD
U.S. Air Force (Retired)
Dale City, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same