- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
AP Source: Eagles to hire Pat Shurmur as assistant
Shurmur went 9-23 in two seasons in Cleveland. He was fired along with general manager Tom Heckert on Dec. 31.
Shurmur began his NFL coaching career with the Eagles, serving as an assistant under Andy Reid for 10 seasons. He was the Eagles‘ tight ends coach from 1999-2001 and quarterbacks coach until 2008. Shurmur then was offensive coordinator for St. Louis for two seasons before going to the Browns.
Kelly was lured away from Oregon last week to replace Reid. He’s been quietly assembling his coaching staff without releasing any names.
Hiring Shurmur is somewhat curious considering he’s a disciple of the West Coast offense, which relies heavily on passes based on timing and rhythm. Kelly uses an up-tempo, spread offense that’s centered around a mobile quarterback and incorporates more running.
Donovan McNabb went to the Pro Bowl five times during Shurmur’s time in Philadelphia. Shurmur also helped the Eagles reach the playoffs with A.J. Feeley starting for an injured McNabb in 2002 and Jeff Garcia filling in for McNabb in 2006.
In St. Louis, Shurmur had Sam Bradford as a rookie in 2010. Bradford threw for 3,512 yards and 18 touchdowns, but the Rams didn’t have many playmakers at wide receiver and struggled to score points.
Shurmur started rookie Brandon Weeden in Cleveland this season. Though he had a rough time, Weeden made progress as the season went on.
The Eagles have question marks at quarterback. Nick Foles replaced Michael Vick as the starter midway through his first season. Though Kelly raves about him, Foles isn’t an ideal fit for a spread offense. Vick is unlikely to return unless he takes a considerable pay cut.
It’s possible Shurmur could end up grooming another rookie quarterback in Philadelphia.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.