- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
AP Source: Eagles to hire Pat Shurmur as assistant
Shurmur began his NFL coaching career with the Eagles, serving as an assistant under Andy Reid for 10 seasons. He was the Eagles‘ tight ends coach from 1999-2001 and quarterbacks coach until 2008. Shurmur then was offensive coordinator for St. Louis for two seasons before going to the Browns.
Kelly was lured away from Oregon last week to replace Reid. He’s been quietly assembling his coaching staff without releasing any names.
Hiring Shurmur is somewhat curious considering he’s a disciple of the West Coast offense, which relies heavily on passes based on timing and rhythm. Kelly uses an up-tempo, spread offense that’s centered around a mobile quarterback and incorporates more running.
Donovan McNabb went to the Pro Bowl five times during Shurmur’s time in Philadelphia. Shurmur also helped the Eagles reach the playoffs with A.J. Feeley starting for an injured McNabb in 2002 and Jeff Garcia filling in for McNabb in 2006.
In St. Louis, Shurmur had Sam Bradford as a rookie in 2010. Bradford threw for 3,512 yards and 18 touchdowns, but the Rams didn’t have many playmakers at wide receiver and struggled to score points.
Shurmur started rookie Brandon Weeden in Cleveland this season. Though he had a rough time, Weeden made progress as the season went on.
The Eagles have question marks at quarterback. Nick Foles replaced Michael Vick as the starter midway through his first season. Though Kelly raves about him, Foles isn’t an ideal fit for a spread offense. Vick is unlikely to return unless he takes a considerable pay cut.
It’s possible Shurmur could end up grooming another rookie quarterback in Philadelphia.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again