- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Leahy fails Second Amendment test
Question of the Day
I was interested to read two articles in The Washington Times recently in which Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, Vermont Democrat, comments on the Constitution.
In "Top Senate Democrat warns against police use of drones" (Web, Wednesday) he stated, "We make a tragic mistake if we think giving up more and more of our privacy will make us safer." In "Leahy: Abolish mandatory minimum sentences" (Web, Wednesday) the senator supports eliminating private sales of personal property (the "gun show loophole") and limiting high-capacity magazines, stating, "Are we really saying as a nation we're going to be more protective of the deer than we are of our children?"
Our elected representatives should go back and review their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States." Doing so might actually make them see we defend only our favorite liberties at our national peril. While I applaud Mr. Leahy's hard line in defense of the Fourth Amendment, he gets an "F" for his knowledge and defense of the Second Amendment. If he would simply have said, "We make a tragic mistake if we think giving up more and more of our guns will make us safer," he would fulfill his oath to "support and defend the Constitution."
If we trade liberty for safety, we will end up with neither.
Bossier City, La.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public