- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Leahy fails Second Amendment test
I was interested to read two articles in The Washington Times recently in which Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, Vermont Democrat, comments on the Constitution.
In "Top Senate Democrat warns against police use of drones" (Web, Wednesday) he stated, "We make a tragic mistake if we think giving up more and more of our privacy will make us safer." In "Leahy: Abolish mandatory minimum sentences" (Web, Wednesday) the senator supports eliminating private sales of personal property (the "gun show loophole") and limiting high-capacity magazines, stating, "Are we really saying as a nation we're going to be more protective of the deer than we are of our children?"
Our elected representatives should go back and review their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States." Doing so might actually make them see we defend only our favorite liberties at our national peril. While I applaud Mr. Leahy's hard line in defense of the Fourth Amendment, he gets an "F" for his knowledge and defense of the Second Amendment. If he would simply have said, "We make a tragic mistake if we think giving up more and more of our guns will make us safer," he would fulfill his oath to "support and defend the Constitution."
If we trade liberty for safety, we will end up with neither.
Bossier City, La.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House