- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The people legitimize government
With one exception, I agree with Andrew Napolitano’s eloquent defense of states’ rights and the Second Amendment (“Shooting up the Constitution,” Commentary, Thursday). That exception is his claim that the states created the federal government. He writes that there is a “serious typographical error” in the Preamble to the Constitution, because it reads, “We the People,” not “We the States.”
I disagree. One reason the Founders created special constitutional conventions to ratify the Constitution, as opposed to the usual practice of having state legislatures ratify it, was because they wanted to make clear the Constitution was something separate from the states, and they wanted “the people” to ratify it to give it its own identity and legitimacy.
Also, the Constitution includes language that makes the new national government “the supreme Law of the Land.” If the Founders had considered the Constitution, the government and country it created to be simply the result of a compact among the states, it is hard to see why they would have included those six words.
Finally, at the Constitutional Convention, the original language developed by the convention’s Committee of Detail read, “We the people of the States .” However, the Committee of Style, which was charged with the document’s final language, deliberately changed that to “We the People .” That was no typographical error.
BRUCE G. KAUFFMANN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt