- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court declines to hear challenge to N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for bold GOP moves
While on their annual “retreat,” Republicans should realize they have an historic opportunity concerning a great issue of our time (“House Republicans searching for agenda,” Web, Tuesday).
In light of the endless budgetary crises that threaten our long-term economic health — and ultimately our national sovereignty — it is time for an amendment to the Constitution mandating a capped flat tax, a balanced budget and a prohibition against any national debt. House Republicans can indeed force this through, as President Obama and the Democrats will cave if the GOP refuses further debt ceiling increases without an amendment agreed to by the Democratic Senate.
The search for an agenda is simple. Either Republicans choose to save this country as only they can, or they choose cowardice, hypocrisy and everlasting shame by squandering a perfect opportunity to cure this country of the cancer that is killing it.
W. Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last