- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Budget deal exposes GOP divisions; conservatives slam tax hikes, vague cuts
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for bold GOP moves
Question of the Day
While on their annual “retreat,” Republicans should realize they have an historic opportunity concerning a great issue of our time (“House Republicans searching for agenda,” Web, Tuesday).
In light of the endless budgetary crises that threaten our long-term economic health — and ultimately our national sovereignty — it is time for an amendment to the Constitution mandating a capped flat tax, a balanced budget and a prohibition against any national debt. House Republicans can indeed force this through, as President Obama and the Democrats will cave if the GOP refuses further debt ceiling increases without an amendment agreed to by the Democratic Senate.
The search for an agenda is simple. Either Republicans choose to save this country as only they can, or they choose cowardice, hypocrisy and everlasting shame by squandering a perfect opportunity to cure this country of the cancer that is killing it.
W. Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Obama administration blasts GOP for criticism of Castro handshake
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners