- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Chereau directs `Elektra’ at Aix-en-Provence, Met
NEW YORK (AP) - Patrice Chereau will direct a new staging of Strauss’ “Elektra” in a co-production with the French Aix-en-Provence Festival, New York’s Metropolitan Opera and several other companies.
The production will be conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen. The festival company said Tuesday it will open at the Grand Theatre de Provence on July 10. Sets are by Richard Peduzzi, with lighting by Dominique Bruguiere and costumes by Caroline de Vivaise.
The Met says it’ll show the staging for the first time during the 2015-16 season.
Also participating in the co-production are the Finnish National Opera, the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona and the Staatsoper Unter den Linden in Berlin.
Chereau and Peduzzi also collaborated on a production of Janacek’s “From the House of the Dead” that appeared at the Met in 2009.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.