- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
L.A. prosecutors to review Catholic Church files for crimes
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Prosecutors will review internal priest personnel files kept by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles that show retired Cardinal Roger Mahony and other top church officials worked to shield molester priests.
District attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said in an emailed statement Tuesday that the office will “evaluate all documents as they become available to us.”
Thousands of pages of confidential records from the files of 14 priests accused of sex abuse were made public Monday.
The documents show how the church handled abuse allegations for decades and provide the strongest evidence to date that Cardinal Mahony, who was archbishop of Los Angeles, and a top aide consulted about how to handle molester priests and protect the archdiocese from scandal.
Cardinal Mahony issued an apology Monday.
Dozens more priest files soon will become public under a 2007 settlement agreement.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors