- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Lagerfeld supports gay marriage in lesbian couture
Question of the Day
PARIS (AP) - Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel's veteran couturier, has shown his support for the legalization of gay marriage in France by sending two models down a catwalk wearing couture bridal gowns.
He did that to cap Paris' Grand Palais fashion show on Tuesday and also had a young nephew of his accompany the women models as they walked forward holding hands.
Francois Hollande plans to legalize gay marriage and thus allow same-sex couples to adopt and conceive children. But not everyone in France agrees that's the way to go. On Jan. 13, hundreds of thousands of people marched in Paris to oppose such a law.
Asked if his use of lesbian couture at his show was designed to support gay marriage in France, Lagerfeld replied: "Of course it was."
"I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate," the German-born designer told The Associated Press. He said people who consider marriage a sacred religious union can continue that tradition in their churches, temples, synagogues and mosques, but that all religions should tolerate gay marriage.
However, Lagerfeld also said he opposes allowing gay couples to father children born through artificial insemination.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- OBAMASCARE: Huge premium hikes rock employer-insured workers
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow