- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Planned Parenthood abets sex trafficking
In his recent op-ed, “The truth about sex trafficking” (Web, Jan. 15), Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II says awareness is key to ending the brutal practice that tricks young girls ages 12 to 14 into prostitution. Mr. Cuccinelli quotes the figure of 300,000 children in the United States annually forced to prostitute themselves with no escape from their prisons.
He suggested we can help by offering our time and financial support to charities that aid these victims, by explaining to children how to protect themselves and by having medical personnel trained to recognize victims and report their plight to the police. Mr. Cuccinelli might also have suggested that President Obama stop financing Planned Parenthood with hundreds of millions of dollars — even after the organization was caught by journalist Lila Rose abetting johns seeking abortions for young girls.
A second suggestion is to reinstate the grant to the Catholic Bishops’ Migration and Refugee Services to continue helping sex-trafficking victims. Mr. Obama defunded the program because it would not refer victims for abortion. This despite the fact that the bishops were given excellent grades on their services to the sex-trafficking victims.
Mr. Obama, like the Tin Man in the “Wizard of Oz,” needs to get a heart. He ought to show some compassion for these young girls and take steps to help them.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
Get Breaking Alerts
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- BRUCE: The power of 'bossy'
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: De Blasio doing disservice to 'underdog' students
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-God humanism will ruin nation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Issue impeachment, not a toothless bill
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Put proof behind 'Bush lied' assertion
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife