- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
CEO unveils bulletproof whiteboards that could shield kids
Question of the Day
George Tunis, a CEO of Hardwire LLC, and his young son were watching the news as tragedy unfolded at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14.
When Mr Tunis looked at his son and saw the fear in his eyes, his engineering brain took over, The Blaze reports.
"We can fix this," he said. "We have to do something."
Mr Tunis' company manufactures high-tech gear for America's military. "The passion of our company is inventing life-saving things," he told The Blaze.
Less than a month after the Newtown shooting and a new invention was born: bulletproof dry erase boards for teachers.
The boards look and work like normal whiteboards, but can shield heavy gunfire from even a close range. Mr Tunis predicts the public's reception of the boards will be strong. The Maryland-based company has already sold 90 boards to a local school.
"Imagine 90 teachers walking with a wall of bulletproof boards," Tunis told The Blaze. "If you're a bad guy, your plan just got changed."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Andrew Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq