- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Pruett earns pole for Rolex 24 at Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. (AP) - Scott Pruett’s run for the record book will start from the front of the field.
Pruett earned the pole Thursday for the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the prestigious, twice-around-the-clock endurance event that kicks off the racing season.
Pruett covered the 3.56-mile road course at Daytona International Speedway in 1 minute, 40.553 seconds. He averaged 127.455 mph in the Daytona Prototype class, a tad faster than Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon.
“For us coming here for the first race, having (both cars) on the front row looks pretty good so far,” Pruett said.
Dane Cameron of Team Sahlen was third.
The field includes defending race winner AJ Allmendinger, defending IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Hinchcliffe, Nelson Piquet Jr., Christian Fittipaldi, Justin Wilson, Paul Tracy, Tony Kanaan and Rubens Barrichello.
But all eyes, as usual at this event, are on Pruett and his Ganassi teammates.
“It’s interesting, but it’s truly not at all (on my mind),” Pruett said.
Pruett is again the lead drive for one of Ganassi’s all-star entries. He’s teamed in the No. 01 BMW/Riley entry with Memo Rojas, Montoya and IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball. Pruett and Rojas are the three-time defending series champs.
“When you get on board the 01, it’s certainly a different mentality than the 02 car,” Pruett said. “The 01 is a seasoned car. We look for every point out of every race to try to go after a championship. With the 02 car, sometimes it’s just for one race, the 24 or what we saw last year with a couple races. There are different attitudes, and with that I think, comes respect with the 01 car that you’ve got to run fast, you’ve got to run smart.”
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow