- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Pruett earns pole for Rolex 24 at Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. (AP) - Scott Pruett’s run for the record book will start from the front of the field.
Pruett earned the pole Thursday for the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the prestigious, twice-around-the-clock endurance event that kicks off the racing season.
Pruett covered the 3.56-mile road course at Daytona International Speedway in 1 minute, 40.553 seconds. He averaged 127.455 mph in the Daytona Prototype class, a tad faster than Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon.
“For us coming here for the first race, having (both cars) on the front row looks pretty good so far,” Pruett said.
Dane Cameron of Team Sahlen was third.
The field includes defending race winner AJ Allmendinger, defending IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Hinchcliffe, Nelson Piquet Jr., Christian Fittipaldi, Justin Wilson, Paul Tracy, Tony Kanaan and Rubens Barrichello.
But all eyes, as usual at this event, are on Pruett and his Ganassi teammates.
“It’s interesting, but it’s truly not at all (on my mind),” Pruett said.
Pruett is again the lead drive for one of Ganassi’s all-star entries. He’s teamed in the No. 01 BMW/Riley entry with Memo Rojas, Montoya and IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball. Pruett and Rojas are the three-time defending series champs.
“When you get on board the 01, it’s certainly a different mentality than the 02 car,” Pruett said. “The 01 is a seasoned car. We look for every point out of every race to try to go after a championship. With the 02 car, sometimes it’s just for one race, the 24 or what we saw last year with a couple races. There are different attitudes, and with that I think, comes respect with the 01 car that you’ve got to run fast, you’ve got to run smart.”
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Paul takes veiled shot at Cruz, says GOP must focus on growth
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again