After reviewing footage, the FA said the standard suspension would be “clearly insufficient” and gave Hazard until Tuesday to respond to the charge.
Hazard was sent off Wednesday for kicking a ball boy in the 79th minute of the League Cup semifinal match against Swansea. The Belgian winger attempted to retrieve the ball after it had rolled out of play.
The 17-year-old ball boy refused to return the ball promptly and dropped down on top of it. Hazard aimed a kick underneath the teenager to release the ball.
South Wales Police said Friday they were no longer involved in the matter, having been obliged to follow up after three complaints by members of the public.
In the FA’s statement, the governing body said it will be reminding “all clubs of their responsibilities in ensuring ball boys and other personnel around the pitch act in an appropriate manner at all times.”
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins said he was eager to move on.
“On a personal note I find it remarkable that there is any thought of police action,” Jenkins said Friday. “Things are done in the heat of the moment and probably everybody looks back and wishes things had been done differently. We accept how things are and all move forward.”
Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez said any disciplinary action taken against Hazard by the club was an “internal” matter.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
When you need to know who is making business, and what business is being made, you need the Business Browser.
How does our 50th state view D.C. politics?
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall