- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Russia erupts in protests as gay ban bill goes forth
Police have arrested several in a Moscow rally aimed at pressuring lawmakers to vote against a bill that bans perceived promotion of homosexuality among minors.
In a BBC report, human rights campaigner Lyudmila Alexeyeva explained that bill as a “curb [on] the rights of sexual minorities,” rather than a protection for children. If passed, the bill would prohibit any gatherings and events in Russia that promote gay rights; a similar law already exists in the city of St. Petersburg.
According to Bloomberg, those found guilty of violating the law, and creating “false perceptions of the social equality of traditional and not traditional sexual relations,” could be fined up to $16,600.
Russia is running counter to Western pushes for gay rights laws. Britain and France have been embroiled in cultural battles of late to pass gay marriage rules, while President Obama has come out in support of what he describes as equal rights for all sexual orientations.
The bill banning gay rights rallies is up for the first of three readings in the Duma on Friday.
The military in Russia also recently announced a new policy to determine whether new recruits are gay or not. The Moscow Times says new recruits may undergo inspections of their genitals and private parts for tattoos that show they might be gay.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.