- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No peace without charter change
Question of the Day
Peace is a condition of harmony between nations and their people with no threats of acts of war or terrorism.
The people of Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Monaco and Switzerland, for example, live their lives without fears of jihad or terrorism. Would a peace agreement between Israel and any Palestinian entity produce peace such as the tranquility that exists in these European nations?
The Oslo agreement was an attempt to achieve this serenity, with the concept of Israel relinquishing control of segments of land for peace with the Palestinians. Unfortunately, in the Palestinian leadership the images of jihad, martyrdom and terrorism — the exact antitheses of peace — have not diminished one iota.
Furthermore, Yasser Arafat and the Palestinian leaders bamboozled President Clinton and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu into believing that they annulled the onerous Palestinian Liberation Organization charter clauses declaring that the establishment of Israel was illegal and void, and that the Palestinians would engage in armed resistance until Israel was destroyed. Not one word of the PLO charter, which the Palestinians consider their junior Koran, has ever been changed.
Until the Palestinian leadership and the Palestinians completely and properly annul the PLO charter, the Fatah Constitution, the Hamas Charter and the concepts of jihad, martyrdom and terrorism, Israel should not consider any meeting with the Palestinian leadership.
WILLIAM K. LANGFAN
Palm Beach, Fla.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job