- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Western states swing Democrat
Go West, young man — a quote centered on America’s expansion toward the Pacific Ocean — might as well apply to Democrats now.
That’s because the Western voters have moved largely left politically these past few elections. In fact, it’s not since Ronald Reagan’s emergence that this region of America has voiced much in the vein of conservative thought. There were a couple ballot measures limiting taxes in California and Colorado, according to The Associated Press. But other than that — libertarianism has led to liberalism, and the West is now firm Democrat ground, the report continues.
For instance: Think legalized marijuana and gay marriage in Washington. Or, former red-state New Mexico going Democrat in the presidential election, AP says.
“It’s just a different world,” said Democratic strategist Bill Carrick, in the AP report. “Nevada became the next California and now Arizona looks like it will become the next Nevada. … It’s just pushing the West further and further from Republicans.”
One key emerging pitfall for Republicans in the West is immigration, the report adds.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: 'None of your business'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Atheists lodge complaint against Clemson football program for prayers, Bible studies
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukraine national guard base; 3 killed
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.