- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Israeli soccer fans decry new Muslim players
Fans have rebelled, but decision-makers for a popular Israeli soccer club, Beitar Jerusalem, vow to push forward with plans to bring on board two players of Muslim faith.
The Los Angeles Times reported the two players — Zaur Sadayev and Gabriel Kadiev, from Chechnya — arrived in Israel to the chants of protesters: “No Entry for Arabs.”
Israeli President Shimon Peres is outraged, according to the Times.
“Racism has struck the Jewish people harder than any other nation in the world,” Mr. Peres reportedly said.
Soccer club managers sensitive to the fans’ backlash initially called for a scheduled match against an Arab team to be played in an empty stadium, the Times continued.
The game was ultimately played before hundreds of spectators — but not until hundreds of police were on hand to keep peace, the paper reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- good to go test
- another test dont post this please
- Russia poised to ban curse words in movies, concerts
- USF decrees: No onstage selfies during graduation ceremonies
- test do not post
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014