- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Israeli soccer fans decry new Muslim players
Question of the Day
Fans have rebelled, but decision-makers for a popular Israeli soccer club, Beitar Jerusalem, vow to push forward with plans to bring on board two players of Muslim faith.
The Los Angeles Times reported the two players — Zaur Sadayev and Gabriel Kadiev, from Chechnya — arrived in Israel to the chants of protesters: “No Entry for Arabs.”
Israeli President Shimon Peres is outraged, according to the Times.
“Racism has struck the Jewish people harder than any other nation in the world,” Mr. Peres reportedly said.
Soccer club managers sensitive to the fans’ backlash initially called for a scheduled match against an Arab team to be played in an empty stadium, the Times continued.
The game was ultimately played before hundreds of spectators — but not until hundreds of police were on hand to keep peace, the paper reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- 'No American is proud' of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Planned Parenthood strikes 'pro-choice' label in favor of 'women's health'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world